The beginning of the Nokesville Church of the Brethren was in March of 1883 when two Brethren (then German Baptist) families moved from Rockingham County, Virginia to Nokesville. In the next few years many more Brethren families chose to make their homes in Nokesville, thus forming a strong Brethren community. In order to serve the larger Nokesville area, two houses of worship were built – Valley Meeting House (1887) east of town and Nokesville Meeting House (1896) on the west edge of Nokesville. Formal organization of the congregation was in 1895 with 75 members.
By 1909, membership was recorded at 233. It was in 1909 that Hebron Seminary, a secondary school with strong Brethren ties, opened its doors to the community and the area Brethren churches. Hebron became the church home for the Nokesville Brethren and served in that capacity until 1947 when it was demolished and the present brick edifice (1948) was dedicated. Although the school closed its doors in 1924, its positive influence on the local church and the greater community was immeasurable.
With continued growth, it was deemed advisable to form two congregations in 1917, a situation that was reversed in 1958 when the two churches merged as the Nokesville Church.
In the mid-thirties, the church moved from the free ministry to the pastoral program, some ten pastors having served as spiritual leaders since that time. As present, the church supports various outreach programs, several on the local level being enhanced by the large structural addition that was completed in 1994.